Monthly Theme: Journey
Go deeper into this month’s theme with reading, video and music
Reflect on Journey
- Could the story of your journey so far be told as an adventure story?
- What if someone asked you “Where are you going?” instead of “Where are you from?”
- What friend has walked your journey with you the longest? How would you articulate the unique gift of long friendships?
- Do you dwell on everything that you have lost? Or focus on everything that you have yet to find?
Quotes about Journey
- J.R.R. Tolkien – “Not all those who wander are lost.”
- Rev. Erik Martínez Resly – “In not yet knowing what will be, we are afforded the opportunity to appreciate what already is.”
- Julia Fehrenbacher – “Life is not a straight line it’s a downpour of gifts, please -hold out your hand”
- Shannon B. – “The exits were entrances in disguise
- To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings by John O’Donohue
- The Happiness Project One-Sentence Journal: A Five-Year Record by Gretchen Rubin
- Instant Happy Journal: 365 Days of Inspiration, Gratitude, and Joy Journal by Karen Salmansohn
- Tiny Buddha’s Gratitude Journal: Questions, Prompts, and Coloring Pages for a Brighter, Happier Life by Lori Deschene
Movies about Journey
- Lady Bird-The journey of adolescence, and the journey of a daughter and mother’s relationship.
- Garden State– The journey of returning home.
- Wild– One woman’s 1,100-mile solo hike undertaken to recover from tragedy.
- The Way -“A father heads overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the “El Camino de Santiago” and decides to take the pilgrimage himself.”
Journey in Online Essays. Podcasts, and Videos
- David Whyte reads and reflects on Mary Oliver’s The Journey – An audio meditation on the journey of leaving your life to save your life and finding your new voice. A reminder that sometimes leaving is an arrival.
- What Makes a Hero – Joseph Campbell
- Where is Home? – TED Talk by Pico Iyer -On the joy of traveling and the serenity of standing still.
Songs about Journey
- Listen to a play list of songs about Journey on Spotify
The Take it Home with UU Activity for this July
Mapping Your Religious Road
- The First Step – Who was most responsible for your first understanding of religion? What was unique about the first religious community that shaped you? How do you feel about that community today?
- Down the Road of Doubt – When did a crack in your faith first appear? Was it a moment of intellectual questioning or emotional disappointment?
- Partners on Your New Path – What mentors or fellow travelers helped light and shape your new path?
- Your First Spiritual Experience – What was the nature of your first spiritual experience? How does it still shape you today? When did your spirituality move from ideas rooted in your head to faith rooted in an experience?
- Your First UU Spiritual Experience – UUs place the interdependent web at the center of our faith. When was the first time you experienced a moment of transcendent connection that led you to feel as though who we are does not end at the barrier of our own skin?
- The Moment of Institutional Commitment – What led you to make an institutional commitment? How did it feel to publicly declare your religious group identity?
- The Turn Toward Practice – At some point on the spiritual journey our faith shifts forms, from a set of beliefs to a spiritual practice that engages and grounds our whole self. What was this shift like for you? What regular practice now grounds your spiritual self?
- Today’s Journey – What was your most impactful spiritual moment of 2022?