SOULFUL HOME – There is no Soulful Home issue for EMERGENCE this month.
Emergence Songs on Spotify – Click HERE for the playlist!
Emergence Film Festival
- Million Dollar Baby
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Call Me By Your Name
- Short Term 12
– Watch the Trailers:
Online Resources for Emergence
- Essay “7 Signs You’re Experiencing a Major Spiritual Transformation (and emerging into something new)” by Natasha Che
- Reflection: “Change as a Catalyst for Transformation (Falling apart as the doorway to emergence of the new)” by Richard Rohr
- Goo and You – Radio Podcast http://www.radiolab.org/story/ goo-and-you/
- Emergence Videos
August is the Month of EMERGENCE
Reflect on EMERGENCE
(from the Latin emergere, to bring to light)
- What if Life isn’t trying to get us to transform into something new or better? What if it simply wants us to emerge into the awareness that we are already enough?
- It’s said that we don’t fear change, but the loss and letting go that comes with change? You do know what you need to let go of, right? But do you know why you are holding on so tight?
- Have you been sitting and simmering in stress for so long that it now feels normal? Is it time for you, like the proverbial frog in boiling water, to notice that a boiling pot is no place to live?
- Instead of feeling punished or wronged, what if you choose to see your current mess as Life telling you, “It’s time to reboot!
- “Let difficulty transform you. And it will. In my experience, we just need help learning how not to run away.” – Pema Chodron
- “You cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.” – C.S. Lewis
- “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy, for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter into another.” – Anatole France
- “Forget about what’s happened; don’t keep going over old history. Be alert, be present. I’m about to do something brand-new. It’s bursting out! Don’t you see it?” – Isaiah 43 18-19 (The Message)
- YES….And…. Watch these two short videos about improv. Reflect on how this “yes…and” approach might be a way to help you emerge into a new, different, alternative way of looking at the world.
- Improv Lesson with Tina Fey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmafmRIeet0
- Rule for Improvisation: https://youtu.be/StESLTnGyHM
- Emerging from Anxiety. Read one or more of these essays on emerging from anxiety and reflect on how it might help you be less anxious.
- The Great Emergence: How Christianity Is Changing and Why by Phyllis Tickle Rooted in the observation that massive transitions in the church happen about every 500 years, Phyllis Tickle shows readers that we live in such a time right now.
- Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds by adrienne maree brown – Inspired by Octavia Butler’s explorations of our human relationship to change, Emergent Strategy is radical self-help, society-help, and planet-help designed to shape the futures we want to live.
- A God that Could be Real by Nancy Ellen Abrams – “This ambitious and thought-provoking book by Nancy Abrams on the interface of science and religion is a timely and welcome contribution to a more productive discussion of the topic”
- Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari – “On humanity’s future, and our emerging quest to upgrade humans into gods… As the self-made gods of planet earth, what destinies will we set ourselves, and which quests will we undertake?
Children’s Emergent Bookshelf
- The Blue Songbird by Vern Kousky – Making space for something to emerge that you can’t control. “A little blue songbird longs to sing like her sisters. But whenever she tries, she cannot get the tune right. Her mother encourages her to leave home and find a song that only she can sing”
- The Fox and the Star by Coralie Bickford-Smith (Author) – What will the fox find when he emerges from his den after losing his star. “Look up beyond your ears.” See what emerges.
- The Treasure by Uri Shulevitz (Author, Illustrator), recommended by Leah Purcell, Albany, NY – You don’t know what will emerge in your journey until it already has happened. In this story, a man has a dream which leads him to a city to find a treasure. In the end, his journey leads him back to his own house, where the treasure is under his own stove.
- The Everything Seed: A Story of Beginnings by Carole Martignacco (Author), Joy Troyer (Illustrator) – “A journey to the beginning of the universe, a beginning that is still with us, still emerging. One scientist said, ‘You come out of the energy that gave birth to the universe. Its story is your story, its beginnings are your beginnings.’”
Online Resources for Emergence
- A Stoic’s Key to Peace of Mind & the Antidote to Anxiety:
- An Antidote to the Age of Anxiety, According to Alan Watts:
- Bobby McFerrin’s “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”: A Neuropsychology Reading:
- How to Lower Your “Worryability”: Italo Calvino’s 1950 New Year’s Resolution: