Take it Home with UU – A single page double-sided, downloadable PDF of Family Ministry resource for parents and children – CLICK HERE!!!
SOULFUL HOME – A Family Magazine of Thematic resources. CLICK HERE TO VIEW/DOWNLOAD
Songs about Resilience
Resilience Film Festival
“Precious”, “Roma”, “The Shawshank Redemption”, “The Pursuit of Happyness” – Watch the Trailers:
- “Resilience: Why Things Bounce Back” by Andrew Zolli
- “Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy” by Sheryl Sandberg and Adam Grant
- “When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times” by Pema Chodron
- “The Positive Power of Negative Thinking” by Julie K. Norem
Resilience Reflection Questions
Resilience is the capacity to absorb disturbance and maintain function; return to a sense of “normalcy” after trauma; regain shape after being pulled or stretched. Resilience is bouncing back and getting up after being knocked down. So…
- How have you been resilient in your life? What did you learn about yourself?
- Could it be that resilience is asking you to stop wishing things would go back to the way they were?
- Is it possible there’s no going forward until you let go of the future you planned?
- Have you ever made it through hard times by believing what others may call “nonsense”?
- When do you remember first watching someone in your family act resiliently?
Resilience to Go
A Staring Meditation
Stare at a single glorious thing each day for at least a week! It can be the same glorious thing or you can seek out a different one each day. It’s the “staring” that is the really important part. Give it your attention long enough to sink in. You will know when you are done; your body will tell you. Just stare until you, like Kingsolver, it teaches you joy once again. And don’t get caught up in what “glorious” means. As Barbara Kingsolver affirms, a geranium is as glorious as the crescent moon. Share what you’ve learned through the spiritual practice of “resilient staring” with a partner, friends, or family member.
More Online Resources for pondering Resilience
- “Things i did today to recover” by adrienne maree brown – brown (she uses all lowercase letters for her name), an artist, activist, and authori, discusses strategies of resilience after Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election.
- “Black Women and The Sacred: With ‘Lemonade,’ Beyoncé Takes Us To Church” by Yolanda Pierce – To make lemonade out of lemons is code for powerful spiritual practice in the hands of women.
Ted Talks and Video
- “How Trauma Lodges in the Body” – On Being Podcast – Powerful new uses of bodywork, yoga and eye movement therapy to strengthen resilience in the face of the overwhelming events… and “everyday suffering” as well.
- “I, I, I. Him”– Invisibilia Podcast – What do you do when you lose big, and in the process lose yourself? How do you find yourself again? How do you get back?