Monthly Theme: GENEROSITY
Go deeper into this month’s theme with reading, video and music
Reflect on GENEROSITY
- Our undivided attention is a form of generosity. Reflect on a time in your life when
someone generously gave you their time and attention when you truly needed it.
- Is your life guided by an abundance mindset or a scarcity mindset? Scarcity focuses on
lack, sees resources as a zero-sum game – if you gain, I lose – constantly fearing what
will be lost, and thus takes a short-term approach to things. Abundance focuses on what
resources we have, takes a long-term approach, sees opportunities and possibilities, and
tends toward sharing resources, ideas, and finding creative solutions.
- Reflect on the most profound generosity you’ve ever experienced or witnessed.
- What would it mean to take a generous approach to history? To religion? To education?
To health care? To family life? To congregational life?
Quotes about GENEROSITY
- “All you are unable to give possesses you.” – Andre Gide
- “Until we can receive with an open heart, we’re never really giving with an open heart.
When we attach judgment to receiving help, we knowingly or unknowingly attach
judgment to giving help.” – Brene Brown
- “When we are feeling the poorest, that’s the time to give a gift.” – Dhyani Ywahoo
- “Charity is about helping people survive. Justice is about helping people thrive.” – Laura
GENEROSITY at the Movies!
- I, Daniel Blake
- The Way We Get By
- Please Give
Books that relate to the theme of Generosity These are great reads to complement our focus on
GENEROSITY this month.
- Why Good Things Happen to Good People: How to Live a Longer, Healthier, Happier
Life by the Simple Act of Giving by Jill Neimark and Stephen Post
- Just Giving: Why Philanthropy Is Failing Democracy and How It Can Do Better by Rob
Reich (Extended excerpt here: https://press.princeton.edu/ideas/a-look-inside-just-giving)
- The Good Ancestor: A Radical Prescription for Long-Term Thinking by Roman Krznaric
- Radical Generosity: Unlock the Transformative Power of Giving by M.J. Ryan
Other Things about GENEROSITY on the Internet
- “People Are More Generous Than You May Think” by David Brooks essay
- “How Giving Leads to Receiving” blog post by Andrew Quagliata
- “Somebody Somewhere” – Streaming TV series on HBO about being held and
transformed by the generosity of friendship.
- The Art of Asking (for generosity) by Amanda Palmer on YouTube
On Spotify & YouTube