Movies that RENEW FAITH
- “You Will Die at 20” – A Sudanese film about the problems with blind faith. Trailer at:
- “First Reformed” – an astounding, intense, harrowing meditation on faith and doubt.
Trailer at: https://youtu.be/hCF5Y8dQpR4
- “Silence” Martin Scorsese’s Silence tells the story of two Christian missionaries in Japan
searching for their missing mentor. When they are captured and imprisoned, both men are
plunged into an odyssey of torment and torture that will test their faith. Trailer at:
- “Contact” – Based on Carl Sagan’s novel of an astronomer who receives an extra-
terrestrial radio signal, travels to its source and encounters the aliens. Or did she?
Songs that RENEW FAITH
- Listen to a playlist of songs about RENEWING FAITH on Spotify here
- List to a playlist of songs about RENEWING FAITH Renewing Faith – Soul Matters – March 2022 – YouTubeList
in Online Essays. Podcasts, and Videos
Theme for March is
Reflect on RENEWING FAITH
- What have you trusted since childhood? What have you never lost faith in?
- Has your faith in humanity increased or decreased as you’ve grown older?
- How is your faith in democracy doing?
- Despite its losses and challenges, Covid has clarified priorities for many of us. So, because of covid, what are you now more faithful to?
Quotes about RENEWING FAITH
- “Blind faith in anything will only get you killed.” – Bruce Springsteen
- “Do not believe anything just because I said it. Put it into practice. See for yourself if it’s true.” – Buddha, in the Kalama Sutta
- “Faith is a willingness to take the next step, to see the unknown as an adventure, to launch a journey.” – Sharon Salzberg
- “For there is always light. If only we’re brave enough to see it. If only we’re brave enough to be it.” – Amanda Gorman
RENEWING FAITH Bookshelf
- Faith on Trial by Mark Caggiano (a UU minister) – Rev. Caggiano invites religious progressives and moderates to help put social progress and inclusion at the center of the national conversation about religion and the law.
- Utopia for Realists: How We Can Build the Ideal World by Rutger Bregman – Universal basic income. A 15-hour workweek. Open borders. Does it sound too good to be true? One of Europe’s leading young thinkers shows how we can build an ideal world today.”
- Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott – “a poignant, funny, and bittersweet primer of faith, as we come to discover what it means to be fully alive.
- The Science of Trust: Emotional Attunement for Couples by John M. Gottman – Gottman encourages couples to cultivate attunement through awareness, tolerance, understanding, non-defensive listening, and empathy. And thus the sense that despite the inevitable
struggles, the relationship is enduring and resilient.
Write a Faith Statement
This month, I challenge you to write a Faith Statement. Not a statement about what you believe or your theology or your philosophy, but a statement of trust – of faith. In what and/or in whom do you trust? How does your faith (that in which you trust) relate to your religious and spiritual
beliefs and your religious life and your spiritual practice(s)? How is what you trust connected to Unitarian Universalism?
Rev Tony is available for consultation and questions. As always, Rev. Tony would love to hear about your experiences. Email him ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) or call him (508-344-3668) and let him know what you did and let him know what you thought of this challenge